Cut 38 5" squares of fabric
19 4" squares of felt type batting
1-Center batting between two pieces of fabric with right sides facing out. Making 19 squares.
2-Sew x pattern across squares with straight stitch.
3-Sew 2 opposite sides 1/4" seam from edge of fabric to other edge.
4-Sew 2 sets of 2 squares together creating 2 strips sewn together. (This creates the sides)
5-Sew 5 sets of of 3 squares (This creates the front and back sides of the purse and bottom row.
6-Sew the 2 sets of 2 to either side of the set of one of the sets of 3 creating a U type shape with the seam. (1/4" seam allowance always) That would make 7 squares sewn togeter. Then sew two stips of 3 together length wise creating a square set of 6. (this makes the front and back of the purse) then connect the front to the bottom and then stitch the sides to the front and repeat on the back attaching all squares together to form the purse. Finish stitch all the way around front of purse 1/4 from edge. along front after pinning your straps into desired location
7-Create straps by either sewing 2 long pieces of fabric 1/4" seam together or by cutting two 14" (or to the desired lenght for handel straps) Strips of Ribbon.
8-Insert straps into the top of seam adjusting as needed for desired look. Sew strap into seam.
9- Cut and fray edges of seams 1/4" deep. Being careful not to cut into the sewing seam of the blacks. apr 1/16" to 1/8" apart
This same method of quilting may be used to create a baby quilt of piece quilt of any size. Always adjust the size of fabric to 1" larger than the batting/felting.
*You may also want to add a velcro or botton strap across the middle of the bag to keep things in place better. If you choose to do that ad strap when placing handles on.
3 comments:
Very cute!
My oldest still uses the scripture bag I made out of a pair of Levis when she was 8! I love homemade stuff. :o)
I am planning got make Scripture bags with the young women soon. :o)
I think we will do place mat purses since time is short.
I would love to see your place mat bags. Please post link.
Oh I just saw this and I love it. I need to make a big version for my primary stuff, I've been using my diaper bag but I don't want to have to keep doing that. Thanks for the tutorial!
Post a Comment