Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Talk in Church


To some speaking in public is easy, but to some people it is actually an excruciating experience. This is the case with Roman. He reluctantly said yes when asked to speak by the bishop himself. He forgot about it for most of the week until the day before. We helped him find a short but to the point 2 1/2 minute talk. It was a very stressful morning. He wasn't sure he could really do it. I tried and tried to talk to him, calm him, bribe him, finally kneeling down with him and I asked in prayer for help. He calmed down practiced all the way to church in the car and spoke clear and calmly for the entire talk. He sat down with the biggest grin I think I have ever seen. Mission accomplished.
His talk was based on Jesus taught the importance of service. When He comes to earth again, He will say to the righteous: “I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me” (Matthew 25:35–36).
This reminds me of the visitors we have had for the past month. Guest from Hong Kong and from England. Both brought wonderful gifts to give to us. The Ng Family brought Candy for the family and this beautiful silk jacket for me. Simon and Pat bought us this beautiful crock pot. But really the greatest gifts they brought to share with us is themselves. They were so kind to our family. We learned about where they live, what they eat and differences and things we have in common. It is a truth that this is a very small world and we are truly blessed to know such wonderful people from all over the world.

1 comment:

laura vegas said...

you must have been such a proud mommy! i used to be painfully shy as a kid and it would nearly kill me to talk to anyone. you'd never know it now though. lol!