Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quilting


These are some pre made quilts I bought last week for my new grand baby. They are cut sewn and ready to put batting and backs on and then be quilted or tied.

I also started working on my own rag quilt for the baby
I looked up tons of rag quilts on the Internet. My favorite quilts were here Here and Here


I cut different types of fabric into different measurements. Some were 6" some were 4" and some were 2". I then cut the felt batting into strips that were one inch smaller (5" 3" and 1") wide and then I like baby blankets 40" square so that is how long my strips are. The great thing about these kind of quilts is that your seam is left out and exposed. I decided with this quilt to alternate the seam to every other seam was to the back then the front. So actually their is no front or back.
I also sew the strips into panels and then at the end sew the panels together. It's easier to maneuver a 12"x40" panel than a 20"x40" panel.
this quilt turned out much thicker than I expected but the batting is very full. I suggest if you have thick fabric go with a thinner batting or vice versa...Thin fabric use a thicker batting

No comments: