First I decide how big I want the quilt
For this project I am sewing quilts for the toy hauler
I cut up an old denim couch cover I had saved. You can use old jeans or new denim. I like to make big blocks 12x12 or larger makes less sewing and takes less time.
Sew squares together
I save old quilts, blankets, and sheets to use as the middle stuffing. (I usually layer three or four items for my camping quilts) I lay them out on the floor. Cut off excess (all quilts are not the same size) Choose a flannel sheet for the bottom and make sure the top, bottom are the same size. Middle should be about 1 inch smaller all the way around because of seam allowance (but it could be slightly smaller or larger. (I like using old used blankets sheets and fabric because that's what the pioneers used it and it is my contribution to recycling and they are so heavy and warm)
For a new quilt or gift you would stuff with bonded batting.
I sew back and the front of the quilt together leaving one side open like a pillow case. Then I lay out the blankets and quilts for the center flat on the table. When I am sure it is all straight I stick my hands into the inner corners of the quilt top/bottom while it's still wrong side out and grab the blankets and quilts (middle stuffing) and then while holding on to the middle stuffing flip the exterior of the quilt right side out. Making sure I don't let go of any of the middle stuffing. Then shake everything straight. You can put it on a quilt frame or lay it across the counter or a table to tie with yarn ( this secures all the middle stuffing will stay in place)
Using a quilt marking pencil or pen I mark the design or spots . You can make up any pattern you like I've seen hearts, squares or circles. I usually use a straight line or square patterns.
Most quilters suggests not more than 8 inches apart or use the squares of the quilt as my template. With the needle just going through all layers to a 1/4 inch stitch and back up to the top tie a simple square knots with yarn or floss.
Then I just sew the one open side together by hand or with the sewing machine.
(I leave my side open while I am tying my quilt in case I need to adjust anything.)
And Vola my favorite camping quilts.
No comments:
Post a Comment