Monday, October 13, 2008

How To Make Cinnamon Rolls





I decided to teach my boys a skill as well as help them make a treat for their church leaders. So I thought OK I am going to teach them to make bread and not only make Bread but, grind the wheat make the bread dough and then make cinnamon rolls with the dough.
I taught my girls these things, but I never thought about teaching my boys. Then I thought to myself what if my boys marry girls that don't know how to do these things? So I will teach them and they can teach their families.

6 Tbs yeast
1 C warm water
1 Tbs sugar
(mix together and set aside)

1/2 C dehydrated potato
4 C boiling water
(mix together and set aside)

1/2 C non-fat powdered milk
1 1/2 C cold water
(I just use 1 1/2 C milk when I am in a hurry)

1 C Oil (veg or canola)
1 C Honey or Sugar
2 Tbs Salt
1 Egg
8 C wheat flour and 8 C White (for half and half)
or 16 C White (for plain white bread)

Add Water, Milk, Oil, Sugar/Honey, Salt, Egg, and Mix then add Potatoe water, Yeast water, mix and slowly add flour.
Cover and let rise in warm place until double, punch down and form into bread (makes 5 large loafs), rolls or roll out for cinnamon rolls.
When making Cinnamon rolls I clean my counter and dry thoroughly, then wipe oil generously over the work area, spread out dough to a 1/4" thickness in a rectangular shape. Melt a cube of butter and spread over dough, sprinkle generously with cinnamon, brown sugar and then roll .
Cut into 1" rolls using 12" of strong thread or floss. Hold one end of floss in each hand. Directing thread under dough and then around both sides of roll and then pulling ends together and then across each other. This cuts dough without smashing it. Let rise until double size and then bake in 350 deg oven for 20 minutes.
Frost or dust with powder sugar if desired.
(To get a good look at the cutting technique click on picture of the boys cutting rolls and putting them into pans and you can you see how the boys cut the rolls with string)

1 comment:

Mrs Nancy said...

MY sweet roll recipe looks like your recipe with the instant potato ingredient. I have been wanting to make some again, I think I will have my boys help out too, great idea!