
Seriously like something out of a scarry movie it came in and all HECK broke loose. I was 20 miles from home working on some things with CK magazine. One minute it was Bright and sunny and the next it was a white out. Someone came through and said we better leave early this is going to be messy to get home in. I wasn't worried. We had snow storms all winter. I got a phone call. My little boys were stuck on a bus on the highway in a traffic jam. They were all ok but, no one knew how long they would be there. I got in the car and headed out west toward the road home. When I got there traffic was at a stand still. I thought Okay I will just head back and go down the frontage road. Seriously 2 hours to get 5 miles. My car started to run out of gas. People's cars were getting stuck. Cars were sliding into the middle of the road blocking traffic both ways. My cell phone was dying. I always have a car charger but, had rode in my daughters car the day before and left it in there. I was sick as the suburban began to spatter and shut off. I was with in half a mile of the gas station but, in this it might as well been 50. I would leave it off until traffic moved and then give it gas to move and then shut it off again. Finally as it was getting harder to start it I got into the driveway of the Mavric. Cars were everywhere the freeway to my left was stopped no one was going off or getting on or out of anywhere the gas station was packed cars were so thick you couldn't get to the pumps. Someone moved I coasted in behind an old vw bug. The guy got out and said sorry my car won't start I am stuck. I said oh no I am out of gas. I thought don't panic. Go get a gallon container of any sort and get the gas in the tank. I went inside found a gas can and a pink cookie. (I have to have comfort food) The guy at the register ask if I ran out of gas. I told him right there in front of the pump where the VW was stuck. He said let me help move direct traffic so you can get to a pump. I thanked him and was able to move up to the pump. I got the fuel and drove the back roads towards my sisters house. I knew I could call my family and get an update where everyone was. I made it to her house. My brother in law showed up just a few minutes after me. My sister and her husband were gone out of town but, her kids were home safe. I called and found the little boys were still on the bus and by now they had been stranded over 2 hours. I had my jr. boy home and my high schooler was stranded at her friends house. I called my husband but his cell phone was dying and he was trying to get gas when the power went off and now he was stranded waiting for the power to go back on. I waited another hour until I got word through many phone

calls the kids were freed by a snow plow that led the bus through the car grave yard as the little boys called it. They were fine but, I was worried about the power going off and weather their big brother could take care of them all night. The word went out the highway was closed for the night. I knew the farm roads and I wasn't going to just wait around my babies needed me. I called their big sister and asked her to find a neighbor to get the boys. I was going to try to come home with my brother in law in his truck and me in the suburban both of us had no phone power but, if we got stuck we could use the other vehicle. we took the back roads and came to a complete stop with thousands of others facing the opposite direction of the highway but, others had the same idea and now the word came through a car had hit the gas line on the farm road and they had closed that too. I tried so hard not to panic. I would start to cry and then think calming thoughts to relax and get a hold of myself. I had no communication but, my brother in law would come and listen to the radio or talk to me while we waited for hours. Finally the farm road opened and one by one slowly we were crawling closer to home. At last we were free on clear roads. The roads were quiet no cars were on the roads as we drove through town. I stopped at my sisters and got a cell phone charger and headed out for the last 5 miles to my house. I arrived at about 11pm. My boys were having a great time at the neighbors all set up for a sleep over. I was so grateful to be home with them. My husband was still out there but he had enough juice to text me he was about an hour behind me just entering the farm road. I waited up for him. I was physically mentally emotionally drained. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I could have drove 3 hours around the mountains to get to town from the west and in another emergency I will do that. I learned a lot about emergency preparedness. I have always been big into food storage. I went to cert training. It is a whole new story when it is happening for real.
2 comments:
That is so scary. I am glad that you are ok and nothing major happened.
Wow that is unbelievable!! Glad you made it home safe and that everyone in your family was safe!
Post a Comment